Having excess weight is a very big problem for a human body. Excess weight can increase the risk of developing a range of health problems. So it is important to maintain a healthy weight to reduce the risks associated with excess weight and improves overall health and wellbeing. Healthy weight can be maintained through regular exercise and a balanced diet.
The weight of a human body may vary depending on many factors such as age, height, sex (male/female), and body composition (body fat and muscle). The average weight for an adult male in US is around 89kg, while for female it is around 77 kg. These numbers(weight) are only averages, the weight of a human’s body can be high or low depending on their individual characteristics.
Having excess weight can be problematic for the human body for several reasons:-
- Cardiovascular disease
- Increased strain on the joints
- Sleep apnea ( a condition where breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep)
- Psychological effects (poor body damage, depression etc.)
Yoga is a effective tool for weight loss as it helps to increase flexibility, Strength and mindfulness.
Here are some yoga poses that can help you to take out excess weight from the body :-
1. Sun Salutations (Surya namaskar)
It is a great way to start a yoga practice. This pose helps to warm up the body, improve flexibility and also increase energy levels. It is a set of 12 yoga asanas practiced in the sequence.
How to do :-
- Begin at the top of your mat with your bases together and your hands in prayer position at your heart center.
- Inhale and raise your arms overhead, reaching towards the sky.
- Exhale and fold forward, bringing your hands to the bottom or to your shins.
- Inhale and lift half up, lengthening your chine and looking forward.
- Exhale and step back into a plank pose, with your arms straight and your body in a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Lower down into a low push- up, keeping your elbows near to your body.
- Inhale and lift up into upward- facing dog, with your chest open and your arms straight.
- Exhale and lift your hips up and back into downward- facing dog, with your arms and legs straight and your hips lifted towards the sky.
- Inhale and step your right foot forward between your hands, coming into a low lunge.
- Exhale and step your left foot forward to meet your right, folding forward over your legs.
- Inhale and rise up to standing, lifting your arms overhead.
- Exhale and bring your hands back to your heart center.
2. Locust Pose (Salabhasana)
This asana/pose helps in strengthening the core, legs and back muscles which results in weight loss.
How to do :-
- Start in a prone position on a mat, with your arms positioned parallel to your sides and your forehead gently resting on the mat surface.
- Simultaneously lifting your chest and legs, take a deep breath as your arms and hands rest on the mat to maintain balance.
- Maintain straight and active legs, while extending your toes toward the rear of the space.
- Maintain a forward gaze while squeezing your shoulder blades together.
- Maintain the position for 5-10 deep breaths, experiencing a tightening sensation in your posterior muscles and the rear of your legs.
- To exit the position, a controlled exhalation required as you gradually lower your legs and chest to the mat.
3. Triangle pose (Trikonasana)
This asana/pose helps in stretching the legs, hips and spine and also improves balancing.
How to do :-
- Begin standing at the top of your mat with your feet about hip-distance apart.
- Turn your right foot out to the side, and your left foot slightly inward.
- Extend your arms out to the sides, parallel to the floor, and reach with your fingertips.
- On an exhale, hinge at your right hip, reach your right hand down toward your right ankle, shin, or block while extending your left arm up toward the ceiling. Keep your legs straight and your core engaged.
- Press firmly on the outside edge of your left foot and down on your right foot. Keep your gaze up towards your left hand or down at your right foot, whichever feels comfortable in your neck.
- Hold this position for a few breaths, then release on an inhale and return to standing.
- Repeat on the other side, turning the left foot out and the right foot slightly in.
4. Boat pose (Navasana)
This asana/pose helps in strengthening the core muscles and also improves balancing which can helps to support the weight loss.
How to do :-
- Begin with sitting on a mat with knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Place your hands on the floor behind you, and fingers poiting towards your feet.
- As you exhale, lift your feet off the ground so your calves are parallel to the ground. Keep your knees bent at first, then gradually straighten as you become more comfortable with the pose.
- Lean back slightly, keeping your spine straight and your chest out. Keep your shoulders relaxed and away from your ears.
- Slowly lift your arms off the floor and straight out in front of you, at shoulder height. Your fingertips should point towards your toes.
- Engage your core muscles and hold this pose for a few breaths. Try to maintain your balance and hold the pose for as long as possible.
- To release the pose, bring your feet and hands back to the floor as you exhale.
5. Bridge pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
This asana/pose helps in strengthening the thighs, core and glute and also open ups the chest.
How to do :-
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart.
- Place your arms beside your body, palms down.
- Inhale, press your feet and arms into the floor, and lift your hips toward the ceiling.
- Keep your thighs and feet parallel to each other, engage your glutes and core to support your lower back.
- Roll your shoulders down and back, crossing your fingers under your body.
- Hold the pose for 5-10 breaths, keeping your neck and head relaxed.
- Exhale, release your hands, and slowly lower your hips to the floor.
Leave a Reply